Friday, May 1, 2009

Girl, What Are You Doin’?

Several weeks ago I was honored for my work. It was a big deal for me and I was surprised (embarrassed) by how I handled the situation.

I thought to myself that I would take the day off of work and honor myself, getting ready for the afternoon event later in the day. I began to think about the event and what I would wear. I obsessed over it so much that I phoned the event planner to ask what would be appropriate. I suggested for myself a business style trouser jean, a nice blouse, and a little casual jacket. The event planner literally gasped and told me that I would be embarrassed if I wore something like this, that I needed to think about my image, and that others (mostly men) would be wearing suits even though it was a business casual event.

The panic set in. I stared into my closet and selected two separate outfits. One outfit I put on, the other went in my car as a backup. I could scope out the other award recipients and change if needed or if I spilled something on myself, or something like that, I would have a back up. Of course, I had to have two professional looking bags, matching jewelry and accessories for each outfit. I also had my hair professionally done and gave myself a pedicure. In the middle of all of this, I did two loads of laundry for my family that needed clean clothes for other events going on that week.

Now, I’m running late! I finally show up and I notice that many of the men show up in kakis, a button down shirt and a jacket and of course some in suits. Some of them hadn’t even shaved….I had to shave my legs! The men have on no make up, no hairstyle (most didn’t have hair), and none seemed concerned about their accessories, etc. And I would bet you money none of them had been doing laundry prior to the event!

Men can show up to an event like this all disheveled and it’s ok. It doesn’t hurt their image because they are hard workin’ men. For some reason, women have to look good, all done up in the work place to be considered “organized, professional, and together”. Women have to have an “image of appearance” to be considered professional. I looked around thinking how fantastic I looked yet disappointed that I fell into this gender trap.

Women are paid less than men (and I believe) do more work than their male counterparts in the home and in the work place. Then they are further held back with the cost and time constraint of hairstyles, pedicures, make up, hand bags, and matching accessories and jewelry. At an event where I would be celebrated for my work, I almost damaged my image because I wasn’t wearing something appropriate for a female professional….what?

I am a no-nonsense, grass roots but professional woman. My image does not lie in what I wear, my hairstyle, or my accessories. My image is the person I am and the work that I do. Don’t forget that ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment